Apple Products: USA vs. Europe - why the price difference?

Just checked out the new iPod at the Apple Store. The 15 GiG model which is $399 in the USA costs E499 in the Netherlands a 33.5% increase and that excludes postage!!!

Check it out -
[b:dcba19f71b]Apple Store USA[/b:dcba19f71b]
[b:dcba19f71b]Apple Store Holland[/b:dcba19f71b]

Why is this? Personally I always order my stuff from the States - you can see why.

[mod:dcba19f71b]Changed your URL’s into linked text, because the URL’s were a tad long. Stof.[/mod:dcba19f71b]

The USA price does not include VAT, the Euro price does. Another reason is import-tax.

Fact is that the iPod does substantially differ in price between USA and Europa. For other models, the prices excl. VAT do not differ as much:

iMac 800Mhz: €1299 vs $1299
Powermac 1GHz: €1499 vs $1499
iBook 800MHz: €1099 vs $ 999
Powerbook 12": €1899 vs $ 1799.

Vote for a political party that promotes lower taxation and free trade. The difference is all in VAT and import duties. Buying it yourself in the US will not help, if customs spot you they will charge you VAT and duties. Of course you could get lucky...

Jan

[quote:71e1469219=“Stof”]The USA price does not include VAT, the Euro price does. Another reason is import-tax.

Fact is that the iPod does substantially differ in price between USA and Europa. For other models, the prices excl. VAT do not differ as much:

iMac 800Mhz: €1299 vs $1299
Powermac 1GHz: €1499 vs $1499
iBook 800MHz: €1099 vs $ 999
Powerbook 12": €1899 vs $ 1799.[/quote:71e1469219]

Why is this tread in english?

Nevertheless the difference is still pretty big. In these times when the euro had a much higher value than the us dollar, the prices for consumers in the EU-euro should drop…
[size=9:f9e8073ae0][color=darkred:f9e8073ae0][Moderator=AppleWatcher][list:f9e8073ae0]Moved this topic to hardware.[/list:u:f9e8073ae0][/Moderate][/color:f9e8073ae0][/size:f9e8073ae0]

[size=10:f5ca3304f8][Off-topic][/size:f5ca3304f8][list:f5ca3304f8][quote:f5ca3304f8="kokothebird"]Why is this tread in english?[/quote:f5ca3304f8] [size=10:f5ca3304f8]Tot nu toe zijn al Negro's berichten in het Engels. Het lijkt er dus op dat hij/zij Engels/Amerikaans is (of heel erg z'n best doet dat te lijken :P ).[/size:f5ca3304f8][/list:u:f5ca3304f8][size=10:f5ca3304f8][/Off-topic][/size:f5ca3304f8]

Share a secret, Negro, where can we get cheap mac stuff online? I'll be going to the States in a little while and would like to bring some mac stuff back with me :D

Not so much cheap stuff online - more a question of ordering it in the States in a particular way.

[b:a932bbe279]Example[/b:a932bbe279]
The 15 GB iPod would cost $429 including sales tax (postage is free for orders over $50). The post address I use belongs to a friend of mine who lives in New York. He would receive the article and post it to me (aangetekend) which costs him around $10.
[b:a932bbe279]Total price for 15 GB iPod = $439 or E390[/b:a932bbe279] at present exchange rates.

And as for Stof’s comment about import-tax, well that’s simply got around. The original mail box is thrown away and the iPod is repackaged as if it were a gift. Import-tax only applies to companies sending to other companies or individuals - not private post.
[b:a932bbe279]Voila!! 1 iPod + Euro 110 extra to spend[/b:a932bbe279]

[b:a932bbe279]Meneer de Koekepeer[/b:a932bbe279]
If you’re visiting the States, all the better - simply purchase the items you want in a store, show your return ticket + passport and you qualify for tax & duty-free prices. The only condition is that the articles are sealed and must remain so until you return to Dutch soil.
Just check exactly how much Euro worth of merchandise you’re allowed to bring back with you before you go.

Negro,

I’ll be staying in the statses for little over a year, so no “keeping the product in the sealing” for me :slight_smile:

[quote:a7cf9ea24b="Negro"]

[b:a7cf9ea24b]Meneer de Koekepeer[/b:a7cf9ea24b]
If you’re visiting the States, all the better - simply purchase the items you want in a store, show your return ticket + passport and you qualify for tax & duty-free prices. The only condition is that the articles are sealed and must remain so until you return to Dutch soil.
Just check exactly how much Euro worth of merchandise you’re allowed to bring back with you before you go.[/quote:a7cf9ea24b]

Is this show your ticket taxfree thing valid in all the states? I know Louisiana has a tax free arrangement, but the way you say it suggests its valid in other states too? I’ll be going to the Deep South this year, and the iPod is still on my list, so if this is all true, it will be better to buy it when i’m on holiday?

Firefly

Hey, mr Negro,

It feels as though us Eurocitizens are beïng screwed. Kokothebird is right. With the high Euro vs low Dollar prices in Europe should drop! The high Euro makes it all the more attractive for me to buy Applegoodies in the States this summer.

Whats best for me:

a: Buy the iPod -taxfree with airplane ticket- and post the whole thing to my home in The Nethherlands labelled ‘GIFT’

b: Buy the iPod -taxfree with airplne ticket- and tell customs its sealed in plastic and this means ‘no import taxes’ (Never heared of that one)

c: Buy the iPod -taxfree with airplne ticket- and just risk walking through customs with it. (And not forgetting the warranty is not in my backpack, but sent by post to myhome. Otherwise customs might spot it).

And does this arrangement work in the entire states? Looks kinda strange to me. I’d ask foreign exchange students to buy me Apple stuff. But the again, your country only has -what- 6 percent taxes? We’ve got 19 percent! Thats almost communism!

[quote:71277e6772="Mmmarco"]Kokothebird is right. With the high Euro vs low Dollar prices in Europe should drop! [/quote:71277e6772]

The prices in Europe have dropped! With the last round of product updates Apple lowered almost all productprices. For example, in the US the low-end iMac was $1199 an €1299; since the last update they’re both 1299. Analogous situations with the updates to the Powermacs, eMacs and displays.

[b:ad300edc53]Firefly[/b:ad300edc53] I don't know if Tourist rates are available in every state, but you're better off buy the Pod while you're there simply 'cause it's almost 25% cheaper than in Holland. You can then use it while you're there and bring it back as your 'walkman' or whatever. No problem.

[b:ad300edc53]Mmmarco[/b:ad300edc53]
I’d choose c). The iPod’s just your personal property and no-one will know otherwise unless you decide to tell customs. Same as if you carry a laptop while travelling - no-one’s gonna question where you bought it are they? If you’re in no rush to use it then just buy it Tax-Free at the airport before you return.

I’m a performer and often fly to Asia for bookings. A few years ago I bought a Fender PA system in Hong Kong as it was 30% cheaper than Europe. I simply carried it through customs normally (without the box) - as far as they are concerned it’s simply part of all the equipment, props & costume I carry.
Now of course had I bought 2 or 3 back then I’d be asking for trouble!

Negro,

ThanX! Looks like some dutch folks will be spending a great deal of money in the States this summer! :wink: I know I am.

Completely off topic but this talk has got me thinking the internet and especially forum sites (like this one) is opening the eyes of the modern-day consumers and the role of certain governements.